Hull Testing

It’s been a little over 2 months now since we announced our plans for the new G4’s. Our shipyard, Hudong-Zhonghua Shipbuilding (HZS) has been very busy on the details of the   design work, working with ACL to specify component manufacturers and testing the hull form. Once the manufacturing process starts we will be giving you a blow-by-blow description of how the largest Con-Ro in the world is built!

The Maritime Research Institute Netherlands (MARIN), is one of the leading institutes in the world for hydrodynamic research and maritime technology. The services incorporate a unique combination of simulation, model testing, full-scale measurements and training programs. MARIN provides services to the shipbuilding and offshore industry and governments. Customers include commercial ship builders, fleet owners, naval architects, classification societies, oil and LNG companies and navies all over the world. In the Netherlands MARIN has the status of Great Technological Institute, thus linking science and applied knowledge. Results from fundamental research are directly integrated in applications for clients. Over 85% of the turnover is realized by commercial projects for the international maritime industry. The remaining 15% is derived from scientific research.

HZS has selected MARIN to do the tank tests of the ACL vessels. Two such tests have been carried out so far. The principle method used is the Deep Water Towing Tank. The Deepwater Towing Tank (252 x 10.5 x 5.5 m) is used to optimize resistance and propulsion characteristics of ship designs. To provide insight in the possible improvements in performance the tank has the features to measure various wave and flow patterns. In addition to the standard resistance and propulsion tests the rudder or pod angle, pod position and propeller rotation direction can be optimized.

This effort assures that the design of the hull coincides with the specifications stated in the design.

There is going to be much more as we go through the process of building our new G4 vessels.

Stay tuned!